All these controls...what do they do?

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
Post Reply
User avatar
dmcameron
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:19 am

All these controls...what do they do?

Post by dmcameron » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:35 pm

While I'm waiting for the video tutorials for the rig to come out, does anyone have some tips about the controls?

My more specific questions are :
1. What are all these controls within controls? ctlSpine2 vs ctlSpineGimbal2, do I need to pay attention to all these controls labeled "Gimbal" or can I ignore then unless there's an issue
2. What can I hide? Right now there are so many controls visible I'm having trouble selecting the right ones (I tried the picker, but it's not working for me. Plus I like to stay in the animation window).
3. I looks like there are all these awesome controls baked in. What are some of the more special features of this rig? Where are all the fk/ik switching controls? Is there any controls/options for customizing this rig? I'm looking for different hair shapes and controls for customizing (changing gender, age, etc)

User avatar
juanvaldez
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by juanvaldez » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:04 pm

there is a button on the abxPicker to hide most of the controls. Lets try and get you picker working, are you using windows or mac. if your on mac I couldn't get it to work but if you using windows follow the instructions here http://www.animschool.com/DownloadOffer.aspx and check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8 if your having problems after that post what is not working specifically so we can help you figure it out :)

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by admin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi! We've recorded the how-to video and it will be posted tomorrow. That should help!


dmcameron wrote:While I'm waiting for the video tutorials for the rig to come out, does anyone have some tips about the controls?

My more specific questions are :
1. What are all these controls within controls? ctlSpine2 vs ctlSpineGimbal2, do I need to pay attention to all these controls labeled "Gimbal" or can I ignore then unless there's an issue
2. What can I hide? Right now there are so many controls visible I'm having trouble selecting the right ones (I tried the picker, but it's not working for me. Plus I like to stay in the animation window).
3. I looks like there are all these awesome controls baked in. What are some of the more special features of this rig? Where are all the fk/ik switching controls? Is there any controls/options for customizing this rig? I'm looking for different hair shapes and controls for customizing (changing gender, age, etc)

User avatar
dmcameron
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:19 am

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by dmcameron » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:59 am

yes, sadly I'm on a mac so maybe I'll just hold tight till the issues are fixed.

Cool, the video is out tomorrow. Great news, that should answer most of my questions.

User avatar
daveg
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:16 am

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by daveg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 am

Everything should work fine on a Mac, unless you're using an earlier version of Maya.

Regarding changing hair and age: this is not a changeable "uber" rig! It is what it is. You can modify it yourself, but it doesn't provide different hairstyles, clothes, etc.

We may offer more hairstyles in the future-- but my time may be better spent making additional rigs!


dmcameron wrote:yes, sadly I'm on a mac so maybe I'll just hold tight till the issues are fixed.

Cool, the video is out tomorrow. Great news, that should answer most of my questions.

User avatar
dmcameron
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:19 am

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by dmcameron » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Thank for the heads up about the video.

And, in case I didn't say I before in the forums…thank you for providing this incredible rig. I've had a bunch of initial questions about the character and rig but that was mainly to make sure that I wasn't wasting time with trial and error.

I'm totally psych'd about this character and glad to see a very appealing option to other available rigs.

borism
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by borism » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah, thanks for the rig Dave!
Can't wait for the video because I can't seem to get his IK arms to work. The control curves have no affect on the rig.

Koss
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by Koss » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:43 pm

borism wrote:Yeah, thanks for the rig Dave!
Can't wait for the video because I can't seem to get his IK arms to work. The control curves have no affect on the rig.


You can get the arms to move in IK by selecting the IK for the arm and change the Ik attribute from 0 to 1 for each arm. But i cant seem to get the ik/fk switch to work. Other than that this is a great rig and I think you dave for making this labor of love of yours available to us all. :D

borism
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by borism » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Koss wrote:
borism wrote:Yeah, thanks for the rig Dave!
Can't wait for the video because I can't seem to get his IK arms to work. The control curves have no affect on the rig.


You can get the arms to move in IK by selecting the IK for the arm and change the Ik attribute from 0 to 1 for each arm. But i cant seem to get the ik/fk switch to work. Other than that this is a great rig and I think you dave for making this labor of love of yours available to us all. :D



Ah ok, thanks. I was trying to use the Picker and it didn't seem like it was switching. Thanks!

Koss
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by Koss » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Glad I could help. But After i posted that I went back to playing with the rig and the ik/fk switch. It seems to work but it doesn't change the Ik attribute back to what your switching to. So if you moved it in ik then hit the switch to put the arm back in fk, just change the attr from 1 to 0 and should work. Seems to be working for me. ;)

User avatar
daveg
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:16 am

Re: All these controls...what do they do?

Post by daveg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi! Part 1 of the Malcolm How-To video has been posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests