render problem with Malcolm's eyes

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
butrfly
render problem with Malcolm's eyes

Post by butrfly » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 am

I am using Maya 2016 and Vray 3.10. I am currently trying to convert Malcolm 2.0's materials and shaders to be render-ready in Vray. I am more practiced in animation than I am in rendering or in vray so I would appreciate any help that can be given.
When I try to test render from an animation I did with Malcolm, using the eye materials that come with the rig, the eyes look metallic, even if I try to adjust the parameters like glossiness (see image malcolm_render_test.jpg).
Several times when I change the eye material to vray material, I have gotten a black cornea area when I make the reflection color black and the reflection glossiness to 1.0. At those times, I only got a white cornea if the reflection color was set to white, which is the opposite of what it's supposed to be, I believe.
For some reason today when I tried again, changing the eye materials to vray worked better and I got eyes that look like eyes but they now appear very matte looking without much glossiness at all (see image Malcolm_testRender_vrayEyes.jpg). I changed the vray material so that it has a phong brdf type so that it would be more similar to the material that came with the rig but it made no real difference.
Why do I get that metallic look before changing over to vray materials? Is there a way to fix that?
I don't have an image of the black eyes, but perhaps someone can explain how that could happen? What did I do wrong?
and finally what can I do to give some gloss to the eyes with vray materials but so it still looks like eyes instead of chrome?
Thanks!
Attachments
Malcolm_testRender_vrayEyes.jpg
malcolm_render_test.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Re: render problem with Malcolm's eyes

Post by admin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 pm

I don't know about vray materials/rendering personally, sorry!

butrfly

Post by butrfly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:11 am

Is there anyone else on staff who does who can help me?
Or anyone else on this forum who can answer my question? Please???

nikolaykirkov

Post by nikolaykirkov » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Can you send the scene?

butrfly

Post by butrfly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:29 pm

How could I send the scene? The maya file is quite large and anyone who doesn't have Maya 2016 wouldn't be able to open it.

nikolaykirkov

Post by nikolaykirkov » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:06 am

I work as lighting, shading artist with v-ray for 3ds max, I assume is the same... I assume the problem is in the reflections - they don't have something to reflect infront of malcolm, but may be the problem is something else...

Also you should turn on IOR for the reflection and probably ior of 1.33 refl gloss 0.9