Malcolm rig issues

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
AJanimation86
Malcolm rig issues

Post by AJanimation86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:09 am

Hi,

I am trying to animate a scene with the Malcolm rig and I'm having issues which I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

Once the rig is loaded into Maya it seems to be missing parts of the model. Hopefully the picture below can explain it more than I can.

Thanks
Attachments
Malcolm.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Re: Malcolm rig issues

Post by admin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am

It looks like you are working in a temp folder inside of the .zip archive.
You have to unzip the files to your disk first.

AJanimation86

Post by AJanimation86 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 am

Hi,

The files were unzipped. I have deleted the old file and redownloaded it from your website, unzipped it, and its still having the same issue.

Thanks

Post by 8649613 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 am

Hi,

I have the same issue with Malcolm in Maya 2017 and Maya 2018.
The same animation file with Malcolm works in maya 2015 and maya 2016, but the skin and part of the customs disappear in 2017 and 2018.

moe_g

Post by moe_g » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:38 am

Hey!

I had the same issue but also with a few assets I began to model so after searching on quite a few forums, I found a little solution.

**images will be posted**

There's 3 ways:

1. Work with your mesh on 1, unsmooth mode. This work perfectly, however if you prefer working on 3, smooth mode, then do either 2 or 3.

2. Open your Preferences>Settings>Modelling, you will find a Polygons section. You have to choose which method you want for Global Subdivision Method. Choose Maya Catmull-Clark. Close Maya and reopen. If this is still an issue, follow the method below.

3. *Gonna be slightly tedious* Go into your outliner, select each individual mesh at a time > Attribute Editor > PolygonShape tab > Smooth Mesh >
* Make sure "Smooth Mesh Preview" is ticked ON
* the "Display" is Smooth Mesh not Cage + Smooth Mesh (unless you prefer to work with a cage around your mesh)
* "Subdivision Method" is Maya Catmull-Clark NOT OpenSubdiv. Do this step by either ticking "Global (Maya Catmull-Clark)" or choosing "Maya Catmull-Clark" in the drop down menu.

Basically 2017 and 2018 has weird issues with its subdivision methods if OpenSubdiv is selected and the only one that seems to work is Maya Catmull-Clark (which has been integrated for YEARS).

I really hope this works and help you guys out!
Let me know if you found another method!

NB!! If you're referencing your scene, do these changes in the reference scene file NOT the scenes you'll be animating in. ALSO, have a copy of the unchanged scene file in a separate folder just in case for any reason whatever.
Attachments
SmoothMesh_03.PNG
Solution 3.02
SmoothMesh_02.jpg
Solution 3.01
SmoothMesh_01.PNG
Solution 2.