How to render Malcolm_v200

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
0Sullivan
How to render Malcolm_v200

Post by 0Sullivan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:38 am

Hi,
I use Maya 2017 with Mental Ray installed.
To be able to see Malcolm in Mental Ray, I checked the Malcolm rig and found layerLocatorShapes under attribute editor when clicked on main Malcolm in the outliner, there is a Drawing Override Options tab where I unchecked the "Enable Overrides" box and that seems to fix the problem.
Still I am having issues with what I guess are the shaders or materials he has. the clothes looks like reflective metal and the eyes disappear.
Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 5.09.40 PM.png
Does anyone know how to solve this?
Does anyone use a better way to render him?
It would be useful to have a definite render guide.

Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Re: How to render Malcolm_v200

Post by admin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:22 pm

He's not really set up to render necessarily in mental ray and since he came out they have moved to Arnold anyway.
In a future version he could be optimized, but for now just change the shaders however you need.

0Sullivan

Post by 0Sullivan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Hello,
I can not select his skin. When I click on the face button in the picker only the eye wire mesh is highlighted.
How can I get a better look for the skin, at the moment all the shadows are very pale, it does not look right...
Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 pm

Malcolm was not set up for the new Viewport 2.0 gamma settings. You can switch the viewport to "Raw" or change his shaders yourself.

You can select all the geo with a button in his pickers that say "AllGeo" I believe (I don't have it open atm).
To select geo individually, you need to change the layer settings for the Geo layer. Find the layer that says something like Malcolm Geo and turn off the R. Then you can right click on the geo part and choose "Material Attributes..."

0Sullivan

Post by 0Sullivan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you!

I was able to do that, but I have no idea how to do a good shader. Do not need to export an amazing render really, I just want a nice playblast.
Is there a way to find or export an image file of his skin like one of those?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.cgsociety.o ... QHDO20.jpg
So we can edit in photoshop and import it back again?
Could that work?

Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 pm

Sorry I don't know about texturing. We have a class for that but I don't know personally.