Parent Constrain hand to head?

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
Post Reply
User avatar
IestynR
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:02 am
Location: Snowdonia, North Wlaes
Contact:

Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by IestynR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Hello,

I've currently got a shot where Malcolm is talking into the phone, and I'd like to constrain the hand to the head, so when I rotate the head the hand that's up to his ear rotates with it.

So I've created a locator, and positioned it where it should be, and created a Null group above the locator, but when I go to parent the IK hand to the new locator, for some reason it doesn't connect, so whenever I move the locator, the hand stays in place. (Also, the channels on the IK hand turns green).

Has anyone got any work around for this? How could I keep the hand up on his ear while he's on the phone?
Thanks

Juzwa
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by Juzwa » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Are you using constrain parent?

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by admin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:25 pm

You know about the w b c buttons? You can switch parent space.

Head space isn't an option but you could just reparent this node tgtArmIkChestLf to ctlHeadGimbal

then hit c

Juzwa
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by Juzwa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Sry, just saw your topics subject. For a moment i thought you used simple parent.

I had the same problem with Norman in 2012. Couldn't get it work, so switched to 2011 and everythink worked fine.

User avatar
IestynR
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:02 am
Location: Snowdonia, North Wlaes
Contact:

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by IestynR » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:40 am

Hey Dave. I didn't know about those World, Body and Chest button, they are awesome! They've made the process a lot easier! Thank you kindly.

bnason
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:32 am

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by bnason » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 am

Hey guys! For those of you that use malcolm, I have a question. I love how you can use the w, b, or c buttons to constrain the IK handle to different parts of the rig, but is there anyway to animate that constraint switch? I have my character resting her hand on her hip as she's talking and then she rests it on the table. So for the first part it being constrained to B is awesome, but I would like to switch it to W for the rest of the animation. Any help would be appreciated!

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by admin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 am

Hi! You can manually key the constraints on this node:
grp1ArmIkLf
bnason wrote:Hey guys! For those of you that use malcolm, I have a question. I love how you can use the w, b, or c buttons to constrain the IK handle to different parts of the rig, but is there anyway to animate that constraint switch? I have my character resting her hand on her hip as she's talking and then she rests it on the table. So for the first part it being constrained to B is awesome, but I would like to switch it to W for the rest of the animation. Any help would be appreciated!

bnason
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:32 am

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by bnason » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:07 pm

That's amazing, thank you so much for the quick response!

superfriendlysam
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:36 am

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by superfriendlysam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:56 am

Hey,

I get a weird error when I try and parent constraint his Ik hand to a grip of a gun. I want the hand to follow the gun which is parent constrained to his right hand. I get weird results and this error every time I try to parent constrain it :S

// Warning: Cycle on 'blaster:blasterTop.rotateX' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

superfriendlysam
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:36 am

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by superfriendlysam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:16 am

Don't worry now ;D I've fixed it!

I just used the technique David said with the tgtArmIkChestLf parented under a different curve :) But I had to do it in the rig file!

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by admin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Excellent!

richardforero
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by richardforero » Mon May 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Hello, i was trying to change the space like the admin mentioned. "Head space isn't an option but you could just reparent this node tgtArmIkChestLf to ctlHeadGimbal
", but I cant make it work, could you be more specific in how you have to change it in order to make it work?

thank you very much :D

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by admin » Tue May 24, 2016 1:21 pm

In order to reparent objects that are referenced in a scene, you have to do Reference Editor>File>Import Objects From Reference
richardforero wrote:Hello, i was trying to change the space like the admin mentioned. "Head space isn't an option but you could just reparent this node tgtArmIkChestLf to ctlHeadGimbal
", but I cant make it work, could you be more specific in how you have to change it in order to make it work?

thank you very much :D

richardforero
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by richardforero » Tue May 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks for your answer! Probably I didnt explain myself right. What Im trying to do is parent the hand to head, so when I move the head the Ik hand follows. I thought some how the c w b buttons, one of them lets say c for "chest" when I pressed instead to IK hand to be on chest space would be in Head space. that what I was trying to figure out. Probably this setup has to be done on the original file but no clue how to do it or simply add another "change"space for the head. I think you mentioned before but I dont understand how to do it.

Could you help me to understand please

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by admin » Tue May 31, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi. Do you know how to reparent objects?
You want to reparent
tgtArmIkChestLf to ctlHeadGimbal

then use the c for chest option

Or you can just use a parent constraint on the parent of the ikArm control.

richardforero wrote:Thanks for your answer! Probably I didnt explain myself right. What Im trying to do is parent the hand to head, so when I move the head the Ik hand follows. I thought some how the c w b buttons, one of them lets say c for "chest" when I pressed instead to IK hand to be on chest space would be in Head space. that what I was trying to figure out. Probably this setup has to be done on the original file but no clue how to do it or simply add another "change"space for the head. I think you mentioned before but I dont understand how to do it.

Could you help me to understand please

goodrrz1234
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:54 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by goodrrz1234 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:57 pm


alohabb
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Re: Parent Constrain hand to head?

Post by alohabb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi there - just found this post and was wondering if you can elaborate on how to manually key the constraints on the grp1ArmIkLf node to animate the switch between the w, b, and c buttons? Not sure which attributes to key to make the switches. Thank you!
admin wrote:Hi! You can manually key the constraints on this node:
grp1ArmIkLf
bnason wrote:Hey guys! For those of you that use malcolm, I have a question. I love how you can use the w, b, or c buttons to constrain the IK handle to different parts of the rig, but is there anyway to animate that constraint switch? I have my character resting her hand on her hip as she's talking and then she rests it on the table. So for the first part it being constrained to B is awesome, but I would like to switch it to W for the rest of the animation. Any help would be appreciated!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests