Unable to key the switch between world/local on the IK arms.

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
Pyremind
Unable to key the switch between world/local on the IK arms.

Post by Pyremind » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi Dave,

I like Malcolm a lot! Very light on the system too. My problem is with switching the worldspace of the IK arms...

To test, I've got the arms on one frame (in IK) set to the 'c' chest space. I then select the IK hand controller, and hit 'S', keying it (as you state in the video). All good so far.. then I progress a key ahead, and hit the 'w' world button for the arm, again I select the IK hand and hit 'S'.

When I go back to the previous key, the hand has shifted and it is now also in world space. This is still an issue when I use the 'all' select and 'key' buttons in the GUI. It really seems as if the 'w' and 'c' buttons aren't being keyed for some reason. Whatever I switch the arms to, that's what they're stuck at for the whole anim - I can't key a switch between the two.

Is there something I could missing?

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to key the switch between world/local on the IK a

Post by admin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:12 am

Those weren't designed to animate the switched space. You can key it if you need manually by selecting the ik part and going up in the heirarchy about 3 until you see the 2-3 contraints. Animate those.
Pyremind wrote:Hi Dave,

I like Malcolm a lot! Very light on the system too. My problem is with switching the worldspace of the IK arms...

To test, I've got the arms on one frame (in IK) set to the 'c' chest space. I then select the IK hand controller, and hit 'S', keying it (as you state in the video). All good so far.. then I progress a key ahead, and hit the 'w' world button for the arm, again I select the IK hand and hit 'S'.

When I go back to the previous key, the hand has shifted and it is now also in world space. This is still an issue when I use the 'all' select and 'key' buttons in the GUI. It really seems as if the 'w' and 'c' buttons aren't being keyed for some reason. Whatever I switch the arms to, that's what they're stuck at for the whole anim - I can't key a switch between the two.

Is there something I could missing?

Thanks!

HoodedRobin

Post by HoodedRobin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:24 am

This really needs to be added to a channel on malcolm's hands that can be keyed so that we can drag those space switching keys around the timeline as part of the main animation. It's so frustrating changing the parent space halfway through the shot, forgetting that it's not keyed with the main keys and then having to dig into the rig manually to change it.

kevsan

Post by kevsan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi, I have the same problem.. and I cant find the worldspace switch in the heirarchy, can you help me out.. thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:35 pm

kevsan wrote:Hi, I have the same problem.. and I cant find the worldspace switch in the heirarchy, can you help me out.. thanks
Watch the videos on youtube. There are picker buttons to switch the space of the ik hands, feet and pole vectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_eUmblVhKA&feature=plcp

iDanimate

Post by iDanimate » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:43 pm

I have no issue understanding where the actual controls are for this, however when I try to select the 'b', 'w', and ik2fk(or visa versa) controls, in the picker on both the arms and the legs, I am receiving there error's:

// Error: No object matches name: :ctlArmPoleVectorRt
// Error: No object matches name: :grpIkFkSwitchHandRt
// Error: No object matches name: :ctlLegPoleVectorRt

- and the same on the opposite side.

I have no problems using any other aspects of the picker, and is literally just these buttons.

Any ideas?

Thanks.