Malcolm Geo Explosion

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
brewery
Malcolm Geo Explosion

Post by brewery » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi there, I firstly wanted to extend my huge thanks for making this rig available to the anim community - its really fantastic and I am keeping a keen eye on anim school as it also seems to be heading toward greatness so thank you. :D

Anyway I am having a go with the Malcolm rig and encountered a weird issue with his torso/hands geo exploding.
It seems to have happened between saves and I have no idea what I have done!? :?
The rig is referenced into the scene and another rig referenced into the same scene is fine.

I have attached an image to show what I mean, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Attachments
MalcolmTorsoExplosion.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Re: Malcolm Geo Explosion

Post by admin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi. Sometimes this happens when you scale a rig part to 0 accidentally.

Or, it could be a scene corruption. If so, the best option is to save out the animation using dkAnim (look on creativecrash) and remove malcolm and bring in a new one and load the animation onto him.

If you post it somewhere and email us a link, I might be able to look at it.
brewery wrote:Hi there, I firstly wanted to extend my huge thanks for making this rig available to the anim community - its really fantastic and I am keeping a keen eye on anim school as it also seems to be heading toward greatness so thank you. :D

Anyway I am having a go with the Malcolm rig and encountered a weird issue with his torso/hands geo exploding.
It seems to have happened between saves and I have no idea what I have done!? :?
The rig is referenced into the scene and another rig referenced into the same scene is fine.

I have attached an image to show what I mean, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

brewery

Post by brewery » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi Dave and thanks so much for the swift reply.

I tried dkAnim and couldnt quite get it to work unfortunately, I'll try mayas native anim export too and see if thats any better/easier to use.

I haven't a clue what I did but it seems to go right back to earlier saved versions but I never noticed until closing and re-opening maya that something had gone wrong.

Thank you loads for your time!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:04 pm

dkAnim is really good for storing and applying animation. You may have to use the Search and Replace feature if the character has a different namespace. For example, if the new malcolm is called malcolm1: instead of malcolm: (likely), you will have to put those into the search and replace box:
replace: "malcolm:"
with: "malcolm1:"

brewery wrote:Hi Dave and thanks so much for the swift reply.

I tried dkAnim and couldnt quite get it to work unfortunately, I'll try mayas native anim export too and see if thats any better/easier to use.

I haven't a clue what I did but it seems to go right back to earlier saved versions but I never noticed until closing and re-opening maya that something had gone wrong.

Thank you loads for your time!

brewery

Post by brewery » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi Dave, got it to work thanks :)

Reloaded my malcolm reference with the same name as the exported anim from dk.anim, then imported the dk.anim data and it seems to have worked!

Thank you very much for your time as I know how busy you must be,

Cheers.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Excellent! Happy times.
Dave
brewery wrote:Hi Dave, got it to work thanks :)

Reloaded my malcolm reference with the same name as the exported anim from dk.anim, then imported the dk.anim data and it seems to have worked!

Thank you very much for your time as I know how busy you must be,

Cheers.