It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:39 am 

Hi everybody !

I'm trying to use the original Malcolm and the Malcolm Female mod in the same scene, but nothing works.
First you have to know that I'm a total noob in Maya. ^^'

I'm using Maya 2012.
I tried several methods, each one bringing up a different issue.

- Reference then Import, malcolm first:
I tried to reference malcolm.ma, import malcolmPicker.ma and then rename Main_PIKR to malcolm:Main_PIKR. It worked just fine.
(note that Picker worked with Main_PIKR renamed as malcolm:Main_PIKR but not with malcolm1:Main_PIKR)
Then when I try to reference malcolmFemale.ma I get kicked out of Maya without warning.
Issue #1.

- Reference then Import, malcolmFemale first:
I tried swapping characters. Referencing malcolmFemale.ma worked fine, but when I tried importing malcolmPicker.ma the "Import" window wouldn't find my files. The folder containing them appeared as empty in Maya (although it wasn't, of course). I was thus unable to carry on.
Issue #2.

- Import then Reference, malcolm first:
So I tried the other way around, as described in this post. I imported malcolmPicker.ma and renamed Main_PIKR to malcolm:Main_PIKR. Then I referenced malcolm.ma but I noticed Picker didn't work.
Anyway I tried importing malcolmPicker.ma again and renaming Main_PIKR to malcolmFemale:Main_PIKR. The label renamed itself as Main_PIKR1, which looked kinda weird.
No need to say that when I tried referencing malcolmFemale.ma, Maya immediately crashed again without warning.
Issue #3.

- Import then Reference, malcolmFemale first:
Last but not least, I tried the same but starting with malcolmFemale. Imported malcolmPicker.ma, renamed Main_PIKR to malcolmFemale:Main_PIKR, and referenced malcolmFemale.ma as usual. This time Maya crashed but with a warning: "Fatal error. Attempting to save in C:/Users/blahblah..."
Issue #4.

I think there's something wrong with my renaming of the Main_PIKR things. I do it in the Hypergraph window: right click on malcolmPicker:Main_PIKR and choose Rename. The weird thing is that when I do so the labels don't rename as expected. malcolmPicker:Main_PIKR become simply Main_PIKR whatever I type in the Rename box.

There's also probably something wrong with malcolmFemale.ma as referencing it crashes Maya most of the time.

I'm desperate.
Anyone can help ?
Thanks !

MKBJ.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 am 

No idea?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:10 am 

Ok, I read some other posts on this forum and finally found out what was wrong with my renaming thing.
BUT.
I still have an issue with malcolm female. When I try to reference it, Maya keeps crashing every time. The error message mentions a memory limit, but when I do it with the Task Manager open I can see that my 4 Go are far from being full.

Oh and by the way, the crash occurs only when I launch the abxPicker script, after malcolmPicker.ma is properly imported, malcolmFemale properly referenced, and malcolmPicker:Main_PIKR properly renamed as malcolmFemale:Main_PIKR in the Outliner.