Cannot open scene file with Malcolm referenced (Maya)

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
Lucas
Cannot open scene file with Malcolm referenced (Maya)

Post by Lucas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:13 pm

First, let me say this rig is awesome! I've really enjoyed animating with it.

The problem I have is I cannot open any iterations of my scene files that have the malcolm rig referenced! (Maya freezes at 100%)

If I choose 'load no references' on opening, I can open the scene file with the environment I made, but no malcolm of course.

So then I 'create reference' again to load in malcolm, but now this malcolm rig has no animation . . . Any ideas on how to work around my scene not opening or any way to not load references and reconnect to the animation or does not loading references delete all animation on that referenced rig?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot open scene file with Malcolm referenced (Maya)

Post by admin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi! Sorry you're having trouble!

No, I haven't seen this and I don't know how to repair your file. It sounds like a question for Autodesk.

Make sure you use .ma when you save. You can look in there and delete things that look suspicious until your file opens.

If you could open an older version, you could use dkAnim to save out the animation.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for your quick response! It was a false alarm.

I'm just impatient with Maya today as I'm trying to get my 11sec entry done before I leave for the holidays . . .

I opened the scene one last time and just left it going and 45 minutes later it opened!

I then did the 'import objects from reference' thing from the reference editor, and now it works without a problem! whew! Makes me suspicious of using referenced scenes from now on, at least ones that I'm putting animation on.

Thanks again for a great rig!

Lucas
http://lucasridley.com

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:38 pm

That's strange. I've heard of another case of a referenced scene acting like this. I don't remember that happening at Blue Sky though.

What version of Maya? And what OS?

Thanks,
Dave

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Yea, I'm on a Mac, OS 10.6 so there are some known quirks with that and I'm running Maya 2011.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Ok, good to know.

Maybe people with this setup should import the reference always, to head off trouble. (It just means you can't easily update the reference)

matiuste

Post by matiuste » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I have the same problem...using maya 2011 with malcolm rig referenced in a scene.