Malcolm Rig lagging scene.

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
jzone32
Malcolm Rig lagging scene.

Post by jzone32 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 am

Hey friends,

I'm having a problem with one of my Malcolm rigs. It seems like there are two other people this happened to in the forum but I tried what they did and it didn't help. So anyway, first off my Maya scene takes 10+ minutes to open. (Stuck at 100%) But at least it opens. That's the good thing. And then when it opens and I scrub through it goes soooooo slow! Which isn't ideal to animate with. Then upon further investigation I discover that only when I try to adjust my one Malcolm (I have two Malcolm's in one scene) chest geo in any way (with rig controls) it lags like crazy. But if I adjust just his head or legs or something that doesn't effect his body geo it goes fine. So I tried hiding his body geo and the playback was smooth and I could scrub through and such. But, hidden body geo isn't the most idea way to animate... Also play blasting takes a long time when his chest geo is visible. So, I'm hoping someone might have a solution? Both Malcolm's are referenced so I tried that import reference thing but that didn't help at all. Though it might make it easier for me to find a solution because now I can actually do stuff to the geo maybe? The reference file is fine and my last save works okay too. But it's further back than I'd like to restart from. If anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for you help!

Jason

admin
Site Admin

Re: Malcolm Rig lagging scene.

Post by admin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi. That definitely shouldn't be-- Malcolm is light rig.
Can you send us the scene? I'd like to check it out.

Worst case, you save out the animation (using something like dkanim) and get a fresh reference. Import the animation onto the new reference. That should leave behind whatever is ailing you.

I'm surprised importing the reference didn't help.

jzone32

Post by jzone32 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I should have posted. I guess I needed to reboot maya after importing the reference. That did help! Sorry that I didn't post this sooner. Thanks again for your help though!!

Jason

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Ah, great to hear. Question, are you on a PC or Mac?
Dave G