Namespace issues on new character

cesardesmond
Namespace issues on new character

Post by cesardesmond » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:45 am

Hi!

First of all, thanks for all the work you have done with Malcolm and Animschool Picker. They are amazing tools helping everyone of us in this industry.

I have read in other posts that you can only change namespace if the .pkr was created from a referenced character. I just finished a very elaborate pkr for face and another for body. Is there NO way at all to make my pkr work or to "re-use" the buttons with a referenced character?

On the other post you mentioned that there would be a possibility to choose a namespace in the future and that was a year ago. Just wondering if I can fix my problem without redoing absolutly everything!

Thanks for everything!

Cheers!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Namespace issues on new character

Post by admin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:33 pm

There is no feature to do that yet, but it is on the development list.

For now, the only way to re-use a picker made without referencing it in (and therefore NO NAMESPACE) is to update the buttons one by one. Select an object in Maya and right click on the button and Update Button.

cesardesmond

Re: Namespace issues on new character

Post by cesardesmond » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:04 am

admin wrote:There is no feature to do that yet, but it is on the development list.

For now, the only way to re-use a picker made without referencing it in (and therefore NO NAMESPACE) is to update the buttons one by one. Select an object in Maya and right click on the button and Update Button.
Thanks! I actually found a way by accident, but I'm having trouble with one spline specifically.

I'll explain my work-around just in case someone else has the same problem.

First of all, I open a new file and referenced in the character. I started off by "updating" each button by simply redoing them really, but in a much faster way since the colours and sizes remained the same. Then I realized that by editing the command line on the command buttons (adding the string "your-character's-name:", was granting me to choose the namespace I wanted for the rest of the splines.

So basically and to add up, if you change the command line on one of the command buttons and add a string "xxxxxx:" Animschool Picker detects that it is using a string and applies it to the rest of the pkr.

This is in my case and it worked for me. My issue now is trying to figure out how to fix the pkr when original splines have a default string name, because the picker itself is recognizing all strings and gets a bit mixed up. (I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my character's spline name really)

I hope this helps others, and if anyone know how I can fix this problem, I'm all ears!!

Cheers to all!