It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Place Bug Reports and Feature Requests In This Thread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:20 pm 

Hi there!
I tried downloading the abxPicker along with Malcom, but the picker link gave me a "This page cannot be found" error.
Malcom downloaded fine, though.

-Daniel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:46 am 

Hello,

I've just started playing around with the rig, and came across a couple of things, which I'm not too sure if they're bugs or not (as I've not played around with such a complex rig before) but I'm attaching an screenshot of what I mean.

When I translate Malcolm the controls named 'malcolm:ctlArmIkLf & Rt, along with malcolm:ctlBodyPivot1 and the pole vectors for the arms gets left behind at the Zero point.

I'm running Maya 2011 on a Windows 7 partition of my Mac.

Attachments:
Malcolm.jpg
Malcolm.jpg [ 33.55 KiB | Viewed 43037 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 am 

Hi! This is now fixed.

DanieltheAnimator wrote:
Hi there!
I tried downloading the abxPicker along with Malcom, but the picker link gave me a "This page cannot be found" error.
Malcom downloaded fine, though.

-Daniel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 am 

Hello Iestyn! That is normal.

If you want the ik arms and ik pole vectors to follow the body, you hit the "b" button in the picker next to them.

This will be described in the how-to video which we will post, possibly today.

Thanks!
Dave Gallagher

IestynR wrote:
Hello,

I've just started playing around with the rig, and came across a couple of things, which I'm not too sure if they're bugs or not (as I've not played around with such a complex rig before) but I'm attaching an screenshot of what I mean.

When I translate Malcolm the controls named 'malcolm:ctlArmIkLf & Rt, along with malcolm:ctlBodyPivot1 and the pole vectors for the arms gets left behind at the Zero point.

I'm running Maya 2011 on a Windows 7 partition of my Mac.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 am 

forum test message

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 am 

daveg wrote:

If you want the ik arms and ik pole vectors to follow the body, you hit the "b" button in the picker next to them.

Thanks!
Dave Gallagher

Hi!
Is there a way to animate between the different spaces, too?

Thanks!

Wolfi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm 

It was assumed the user would want to retain the positioning, so it is a script not a single animatable switch. But you can manually switch the constraints by doing this, for example:

setAttr "grp1ArmPoleVectorLf_pointConstraint1.tgtArmPoleVectorPlacementLfW0" 1;
setAttr "grp1ArmPoleVectorLf_pointConstraint1.tgtArmPoleVectorBodyLfW1" 0;

wolfor wrote:
daveg wrote:

Thanks!
Dave Gallagher

Hi!
Is there a way to animate between the different spaces, too?

Thanks!

Wolfi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:37 pm 

Hi Dave,

Just downloaded Malcom rig and started playing with it.. OMG its awesome. As i mentioned on 11seconclub that this rig is going to be a greatest rig.While testing melcom i realized that this rig is having lots of controls for example shirt ctr

Definitely we are in need of these controls but not every time. Why don't you make attributes for Show/Hide so that these controls does't create any confusion. Like same confusion happened with IestynR controls stayed in the same place.I think you should add Show/Hide attributes for IK/FK/polevectors/ modifying Ctr in arms or legs and one more thing in FK controls basically arm FK you can lock the translation attributes. I know this is Pre-release of Malcom Rig but these are the things that i found while testing the rig.

Your efforts on this rig is greatly appreciable.

Cheers
Yogesh Batra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! Thanks!

You can hide the more minute controls by using the buttons in the upper right: most or basic

I don't understand some of the other comments.
"I think you should add Show/Hide attributes for IK/FK/polevectors/ modifying Ctr in arms or legs and one more thing in FK controls basically arm FK you can lock the translation attributes."

I think the last thing, you want to lock/hide the unused channels.

creative.stinger wrote:
Hi Dave,

Just downloaded Malcom rig and started playing with it.. OMG its awesome. As i mentioned on 11seconclub that this rig is going to be a greatest rig.While testing melcom i realized that this rig is having lots of controls for example shirt ctr

Definitely we are in need of these controls but not every time. Why don't you make attributes for Show/Hide so that these controls does't create any confusion. Like same confusion happened with IestynR controls stayed in the same place.I think you should add Show/Hide attributes for IK/FK/polevectors/ modifying Ctr in arms or legs and one more thing in FK controls basically arm FK you can lock the translation attributes. I know this is Pre-release of Malcom Rig but these are the things that i found while testing the rig.

Cheers
Yogesh Batra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm 

Dear Dave,

I mean to say while working with ik i don't want to see FK ctr and while working with Fk i don't want to see ik and pole vector controls .
admin wrote:
Hi! Thanks!

You can hide the more minute controls by using the buttons in the upper right: most or basic

I don't understand some of the other comments.
"I think you should add Show/Hide attributes for IK/FK/polevectors/ modifying Ctr in arms or legs and one more thing in FK controls basically arm FK you can lock the translation attributes."

I think the last thing, you want to lock/hide the unused channels.

creative.stinger wrote:
Hi Dave,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13982348/animsc ... irtctr.jpg

Cheers
Yogesh Batra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm 

Ah, ok. We never did this at Blue Sky Studios, because you sometimes need to line up the fk with the ik, or vice versa. At those times, you need both visible. So I'm not sure how people deal with that situation.

But broadly speaking, the workflow we are used to does not rely on curves much; we use the picker far more.

By the way, we are developing a new picker with multiple sheets as well.

[quote="creative.stinger"]Dear Dave,

I mean to say while working with ik i don't want to see FK ctr and while working with Fk i don't want to see ik and pole vector controls .[quote="admin"]Hi! Thanks!

Post subject: Knee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 pm 

the "malcolm:ctlLegPoleVectorRotLf" control doesn't affect the knee in maya, when selected in XSI it rotates the knee.

also in SXI and Maya when All the controls are selected or just the Foot Control the " reset Selected" doesn't reset the custom Attributes: ie... Foot Roll, Toe Raise, ect. it only resets the translates rotates and scale.
( Perhaps there is a setting I don't see)

Attachments:
Reset.JPG
Reset.JPG [ 90.12 KiB | Viewed 42948 times ]
Maya2011.JPG
Maya2011.JPG [ 43.58 KiB | Viewed 42948 times ]
XSI.JPG
XSI.JPG [ 73.79 KiB | Viewed 42948 times ]

Post subject: Re: Knee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! One of the last features added broke that control.(broken in both software, v1.00) I'll see if that can be fixed for the next release. Good find!

Re: reset all. Yes, I wasn't sure I wanted it to reset switches. Plus, I'm not good at scripting so I didn't spend the time to figure it out. If anyone wants to write that, I'll put it in!

juanvaldez wrote:
the "malcolm:ctlLegPoleVectorRotLf" control doesn't affect the knee in maya, when selected in XSI it rotates the knee.

also in SXI and Maya when All the controls are selected or just the Foot Control the " reset Selected" doesn't reset the custom Attributes: ie... Foot Roll, Toe Raise, ect. it only resets the translates rotates and scale.
( Perhaps there is a setting I don't see)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:09 pm 

One thing I just noticed which should be a quick fix is that Malcolm's skin on his arm doesn't match the skin on his face. Take a look: Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:49 am 

Hi Guys,

First time posting so let me start off by saying "Amazing Job with AnimSchool" so far and thanks Dave for all the support.

Just got the malcolm rig and looks awesome. Can't wait to play around with it.

Just a quick troubleshoot though, if you wouldn't mind me asking.

The abxPicker 2011 version given in the download link, is it the "full" version by adam or is it limited by anyway only to be used with malcolm? (had no issues using with malcolm so far)

But for some reason it doesn't let me create any new "command buttons or labels". Middle mouse drag and drop only seems to be working for color buttons.

Tried using the abxPicker 2011 to create a new picker for the "abx Test Character", I was only able to create color picker buttons. Same as before, no command buttons/label buttons.

On a previous topic I noticed that "juanvaldez" was able to create a picker sheet with command buttons. (on Mac)

So I was wondering if this version of the abxPicker for maya 2011 was limited in anyway. As in, will I not be able to use it to make custom pickers for other characters?

Thanks in advance.

Keep with the good work and animate away... ;)

- Jon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Jon!

The abxPicker (2011 and previous) is the full version by Adam Burke, yes. (It is different only in this way: you can have relative paths for background images). You can edit the picker however you want, which is why we have you import it instead of reference it. Look to the documentation on the picker to learn how to do that. (The ? button)

JonDoe257 wrote:
Hi Guys,

First time posting so let me start off by saying "Amazing Job with AnimSchool" so far and thanks Dave for all the support.

Just got the malcolm rig and looks awesome. Can't wait to play around with it.

Just a quick troubleshoot though, if you wouldn't mind me asking.

The abxPicker 2011 version given in the download link, is it the "full" version by adam or is it limited by anyway only to be used with malcolm? (had no issues using with malcolm so far)

But for some reason it doesn't let me create any new "command buttons or labels". Middle mouse drag and drop only seems to be working for color buttons.

Tried using the abxPicker 2011 to create a new picker for the "abx Test Character", I was only able to create color picker buttons. Same as before, no command buttons/label buttons.

On a previous topic I noticed that "juanvaldez" was able to create a picker sheet with command buttons. (on Mac)

So I was wondering if this version of the abxPicker for maya 2011 was limited in anyway. As in, will I not be able to use it to make custom pickers for other characters?

Thanks in advance.

Keep with the good work and animate away... ;)

- Jon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 am 

Thanks Dave,

I'll try to accept this workflow. sounds cool

daveg wrote:
Ah, ok. We never did this at Blue Sky Studios, because you sometimes need to line up the fk with the ik, or vice versa. At those times, you need both visible. So I'm not sure how people deal with that situation.

But broadly speaking, the workflow we are used to does not rely on curves much; we use the picker far more.

By the way, we are developing a new picker with multiple sheets as well.

creative.stinger wrote:
Dear Dave,

I mean to say while working with ik i don't want to see FK ctr and while working with Fk i don't want to see ik and pole vector controls .
admin wrote:
Hi! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:05 pm 

davelogan wrote:
One thing I just noticed which should be a quick fix is that Malcolm's skin on his arm doesn't match the skin on his face. Take a look: Image

I matched the face color to the arm color now.

go to >>> window / rendering editors / hypershade

In hypershade right click malcolm:skin7, and choose select objects with materials. Then right click over malcolm:geoUpperBody3, and choose assign material to selection.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:36 pm 

daveg wrote:
It was assumed the user would want to retain the positioning, so it is a script not a single animatable switch. But you can manually switch the constraints by doing this, for example:

setAttr "grp1ArmPoleVectorLf_pointConstraint1.tgtArmPoleVectorPlacementLfW0" 1;
setAttr "grp1ArmPoleVectorLf_pointConstraint1.tgtArmPoleVectorBodyLfW1" 0;

Ah cool, that all I need :D Just didn't want to have to reverse engineer the rig in order to find that constraint :D I found that sometimes (not very often, I admit) it's very handy to be able to switch the object spaces

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:20 pm 

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded Malcolm and played with it. I was always wondering how the animators could be so subtle in their animation on feature films. Now I've got a clue ;)
Thank you very much for allowing us to animate on such a great rig. I think I'll try to honor this gift soon.

I just have a question about UVs. When I select the head, Uvs appears in the Uv Editor, but nothing when I select the body or the pants, neither the shoes. Did I miss something? There's only a half of Uvs on the hair too.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Hugo!

Yes, there are no UV's for most of him, sorry.

Hugo wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just downloaded Malcolm and played with it. I was always wondering how the animators could be so subtle in their animation on feature films. Now I've got a clue ;)
Thank you very much for allowing us to animate on such a great rig. I think I'll try to honor this gift soon.

I just have a question about UVs. When I select the head, Uvs appears in the Uv Editor, but nothing when I select the body or the pants, neither the shoes. Did I miss something? There's only a half of Uvs on the hair too.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:13 pm 

This is some MEL I use to zero out any custom attrs on a rig. It will search for things like footRoll, toeWriggle etc and set them back to zero.

Code:
 ////////////////////////////////////////////
    /// Zero Attributes process////////////////
    //////////////////////////////////////////
    global proc zeroAttrs ()
    {

string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;
    int $selCount = size($sel);

for ($rc = 0; $rc < size($sel); $rc++)
    {
        string $object1 = $sel[$rc];
     // Find the user defined, keyable attributes on the controllers
        string $attrs1[] = `listAttr -userDefined -keyable -unlocked $object1`;

// cycle throught the custom attributes on each object and store in arrays
        for ($ac = 0; $ac < size($attrs1); $ac++)
         {
            string $attrName1= $attrs1[$ac];
            float $attrsVal1= 0;// zero them out

setAttr  ($object1 + "." + $attrs1[$ac]) $attrsVal1;
            }
            } 
            }

Regarding showing/hiding IK/FK controls, I either have attributes ('show IK', 'show FK') on the IK/FK switch for each limb or I just set up some display layers for all IK/all FK controllers so that the animator can show them all if matching poses by hand. Generally though I add in a match pose process into the GUI so they have a button which does the matching, keys the IK/FK for the limb and switches the visibility too so they never have to do it by hand. Here's an example of a GUI that I built earlier this year that has this built in (very simple rig here as it was for a game-engine project). I made this in Maya 2011 using QT and MEL.
Attachment:
AndyGui.jpg
AndyGui.jpg [ 44.52 KiB | Viewed 42534 times ]

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:16 pm 

You know, one thing that always bugged me about my Zero Attrs script above is that it just zeros the custom attributes out, if their default value is something other than zero this is not what you want obviously. Looking at this again made me curious to find a better solution, and I was able to get it working.

Here's a script that will look at all of the custom attributes on the selected objects and set them back to their default values instead of just zeroing them out.

Code:
    /// Reset Attributes to Default process////
    global proc bh_resetAttrs ()
    {

{
         {
          //find out what the default value of the custom attribute is
            float $attrsDefVal[] =`attributeQuery -n $object1  -listDefault $attrs1[$ac]`;
           //set the attribute back to its default value
            setAttr  ($object1 + "." + $attrs1[$ac]) $attrsDefVal[0];
            }
            }
            }

It's all about the 'attributeQuery' command, something I've not used before now. Glad I looked into it though as I've learned a new trick today (man I love MEL!) :)

Hope that's useful.
Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

Nice! I will try it.

Horganovski wrote:
You know, one thing that always bugged me about my Zero Attrs script above is that it just zeros the custom attributes out, if their default value is something other than zero this is not what you want obviously. Looking at this again made me curious to find a better solution, and I was able to get it working.

Here's a script that will look at all of the custom attributes on the selected objects and set them back to their default values instead of just zeroing them out.

Code:
    {

{
         {
            float $attrsDefVal[] =`attributeQuery -n $object1  -listDefault $attrs1[$ac]`;
            setAttr  ($object1 + "." + $attrs1[$ac]) $attrsDefVal[0];
            }
            }
            }

It's all about the 'attributeQuery' command, something I've not used before now. Glad I looked into it though as I've learned a new trick today (man I love MEL!) :)

Hope that's useful.
Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 am 

How does it know what the defaults are? I just ran it and it seemed to do nothing. Is this script just for storing the info? Not sure how to integrate this yet...

{

{
{
float $attrsDefVal[] =`attributeQuery -n $object1 -listDefault $attrs1[$ac]`;
setAttr ($object1 + "." + $attrs1[$ac]) $attrsDefVal[0];
}
}
}

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 am 

Here's a quick video showing it in use, basically just select the objects you want to reset and run the 'bh_resetAttrs' proc - http://www.graphite9.com/Beta/resetCust ... Attrs.html

It will find any custom attributes on an object, work out their default values and reset to those. I tried it on the Malom IK leg controller for example and on that the default for the 'IK' value is 1 rather than 0, the script can find this and will reset back to that value when used.

This particular script only deals with custom attributes, it won't reset the regular position, rotation and scale channels. I do have other scripts for handling that kind of thing though if needed.

Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:05 pm 

Thought I should put this here. Last few days been wracking my head around the ik/fk switch and think I found the problem. The switch appears to work but simply doesn't change the Ik attribute to the one your trying to switch to. Tested on arms and legs, using the switch then changing the attr manually works like a charm. :D

Edit: Ok sorry, after watching the video found out its working just fine :oops:

Last edited by Koss on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:20 am 

Just after watching the great 'How to' video on Malcolm - I'd thought maybe I'd chime in with a wee request perhaps for future release - but not having much experience in rigging, I really don't know how hard it would be to implement.

On the video, you demonstrate the rolling of the foot to simulate him stepping off (in a walk cycle for example) and then you mention that it's up to the animator which way they want to go - by either keeping the 'foot roll' values as they are, and just animate the control, or zero out the foot roll, and rotate the foot control to match. I work on the latter workflow, and I've sometime found it to be an epic pain to try and get the two poses to match without it popping etc.

Similar to a FK/IK blend switch, where the wrist matches on the switch, do you think it's possible to do the same on the foot - by zeroing out the 'extra attributes', such as foot roll, toe roll, and just the the translate and rotations to match?

Again, I have no idea how hard this would be to implement, but I just thought about it when you were showing the features on the video.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 am 

Here is another suggestion for the future malcom.

In Max, there is a nifty little script called "PEN_AttributeHolder" (written by Paul Neal). What that does is store the positions and rotations (for example the hand controls) and you be able to have a library of stored Poses, you can name them and save/load or copy/paste them. This really speeds up your workflow. I would love to have that feature in the Malcom rig, maybe for the head and hand controls. Again, just a suggestion (not a demand).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 am 

IestynR wrote:
Similar to a FK/IK blend switch, where the wrist matches on the switch, do you think it's possible to do the same on the foot - by zeroing out the 'extra attributes', such as foot roll, toe roll, and just the the translate and rotations to match?

Again, I have no idea how hard this would be to implement, but I just thought about it when you were showing the features on the video.

It's the kind of thing that needs to be built into the rig I think. It is possible though with some scripting, the podcast 4 'reset foot' tutorial from Javier Solsona here demonstrates one method for it.
http://www.rigging101.com/cds.htm

Personally I usually just draw over the pose using AnnotatePro to draw on the screen and just eyeball it using that as a guide ; )

Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! I think you're talking about a Pose Library.

We specifically don't want a pose library for the students at AnimSchool, because they are learning how to build poses themselves.

But if any users here want to make a pose library using the common Maya or Softimage tools, by all means go for it!

Maya:
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downl ... manager--2

Softimage:
http://www.ethivierge.com/animstore/

SidV wrote:
Here is another suggestion for the future malcom.

In Max, there is a nifty little script called "PEN_AttributeHolder" (written by Paul Neal). What that does is store the positions and rotations (for example the hand controls) and you be able to have a library of stored Poses, you can name them and save/load or copy/paste them. This really speeds up your workflow. I would love to have that feature in the Malcom rig, maybe for the head and hand controls. Again, just a suggestion (not a demand).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Could be possible. Definitely from footroll to rotations, but not sure about the other direction. Again, I'm not great at scripting, so I think my time is better spent making more characters. But there are fantastic friends of AnimSchool who may whip that up.

BUT, my curiosity is peaked, so I may take a look!

IestynR wrote:
Just after watching the great 'How to' video on Malcolm - I'd thought maybe I'd chime in with a wee request perhaps for future release - but not having much experience in rigging, I really don't know how hard it would be to implement.

On the video, you demonstrate the rolling of the foot to simulate him stepping off (in a walk cycle for example) and then you mention that it's up to the animator which way they want to go - by either keeping the 'foot roll' values as they are, and just animate the control, or zero out the foot roll, and rotate the foot control to match. I work on the latter workflow, and I've sometime found it to be an epic pain to try and get the two poses to match without it popping etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:10 am 

Hiho...

right after malcolm came out i downloaded it and tried to install everything as described.
the picker didnt work back then and i wasnt patient enough to fiddle around because im such a tech noob...

but now id really like to use it for a shot since the norman rig just starts to look a bit outdated...
the issue im having is that although im having the background bmp for the picker in the right folder... im getting an error and therefore nothing loads...

here an image of the script editor and my folder.

Im Using Maya 2010 educational on OSX 10.5.8

Thanks in advance for your help and congrats on your great work with the school and the rig!

-Lukas

Attachments:
malcolm_error.jpg
malcolm_error.jpg [ 329.79 KiB | Viewed 42392 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:07 am 

I find the picker a little confusing, and times hard to grab different parts. I saw another version for Softimage that was a lot cleaner and simpler.
I think the best solution is to seperate body and face into two UI pickers, and maybe have the possibility to turn off all the secondary controllers. I think this will be used problaby more later in the process :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 am 

Hello there :mrgreen:
While animating, I came across this supposed glitch in the right shoulder of Malcolm.
On rotating the right shoulder, there seems to be a bone flipping inside, resulting in a jerky flip that is very noticeable while it plays. The values haven't been taken to far either.
Fig 1. shows the pointy shoulder.
Fig 2. shows how it is on trying to adjust and make it seem alright.
Even when the keys havn't been taken to values that give such deformation, it still happens between the keys, where the interpolation is happening.
Any help would be appreciated :mrgreen:

Attachments:
MalcolmGlitch.jpg
MalcolmGlitch.jpg [ 221.14 KiB | Viewed 42350 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Coolbird! I'm surprised you're getting that flipping there. Would be interested in seeing that pose in a maya file or exported as dkAnim.
You should be able to fix that by rotating the arm's "twist" control in x: ctlArmUpTwistRt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:44 am 

Thanks for the prompt response, Sir.
Here is the link the part of animation where it is happening http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3010784/Malcolm ... litch.anim
Also, using x: ctlArmUpTwistRt didn't work. The pointy shoulder remains, despite rotating the control.
Glad to be of assistance :)

PS: Also, can you check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20 please ?
and is there a way to scale down the palms of Malcolm ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

You can scale the whole hand with this: jntHandLf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

How do I use the .anim file?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! Until we can come up with a better solution, rotate this node very slightly in y: Malcolm:grpArmUpReadeeRt
to make it go away.

coolbird22 wrote:
Hello there :mrgreen:
While animating, I came across this supposed glitch in the right shoulder of Malcolm.
On rotating the right shoulder, there seems to be a bone flipping inside, resulting in a jerky flip that is very noticeable while it plays. The values haven't been taken to far either.
Fig 1. shows the pointy shoulder.
Fig 2. shows how it is on trying to adjust and make it seem alright.
Even when the keys havn't been taken to values that give such deformation, it still happens between the keys, where the interpolation is happening.
Any help would be appreciated :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:53 am 

Hello there,
The Malcolm:grpArmUpReadeeRt workaround did work. Though, it did add some unrequired bend to the upper arm, I had to counter it by using the individual bend controls coloured lilac.
I believe you might have figured out how to use the .anim. Select the Placer of Malcolm, go to File>Import (Options) and Select the File Type as 'animimport' and select the .anim file.
You would require the animImportExport.mll plugin be enabled. I thought that is how animation is transfered in Maya the world over.
Thanks for the help :)
A very very Merry Christmas to you and your family and every one on this forum :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 am 

Hi everybody is my first time here :)
Awesome job to the Malcom Rig as usual..really amazing and flexible
but i have only one concern...
there are really to many Controller...expecially for the "gimbal" and can be a little bit confusing
i would like the have the chance to separate the controller into 2 layers..
Main Controlle and Refine controller
but i have a little problem about that...
when i select for example "malcom:chestGimbal1" and i wanna put into the RefineController layer
it also select all the other controller from the hyerarchy...shoulder..arms and so on
so if i wanna hide only "malcom:chestGimbal1" i can`t..because also hide other controller
even if i press the down arrow...before hide it it dosent work :(
i hope you understand what i write :D
and i hope there is also a solution about this :)
thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 am 

Hi everybody is my first time here :)
Awesome job to the Malcom Rig as usual..really amazing and flexible
but i have only one concern...
there are really to many Controller...expecially for the "gimbal" and can be a little bit confusing
i would like the have the chance to separate the controller into 2 layers..
Main Controlle and Refine controller
but i have a little problem about that...
when i select for example "malcom:chestGimbal1" and i wanna put into the RefineController layer
it also select all the other controller from the hyerarchy...shoulder..arms and so on
so if i wanna hide only "malcom:chestGimbal1" i can`t..because also hide other controller
even if i press the down arrow...before hide it it dosent work :(
i hope you understand what i write :D
and i hope there is also a solution about this :)
thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Hello! Will will have a button for that in the next version.

To solve the problem you're seeing, select a controller you want to hide, then hit the down arrow to select just the controller's shape node. Only the controller shape should be selected. If not, use the side arrows until it is.

When you have it selected, you can put it into a layer to hide/show them quickly. Keep doing that for all the "refining" controllers you want to hide.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:55 am 

thanks a lot
this fix the problem :)

maybe will be nice to see also a few fix on the face controller
for example when i move the ctlLipAll all the othetr controller of the lips stay behind...
would be nice if the all the controllers of the mouth follov the ctlLipAll

admin wrote:
Hello! Will will have a button for that in the next version.

To solve the problem you're seeing, select a controller you want to hide, then hit the down arrow to select just the controller's shape node. Only the controller shape should be selected. If not, use the side arrows until it is.

When you have it selected, you can put it into a layer to hide/show them quickly. Keep doing that for all the "refining" controllers you want to hide.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:44 am 

Hey, I just upgraded to Maya 2013 and after opening abxPicker it now looks like the attached image :(

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 84.3 KiB | Viewed 41842 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 am 

I've been testing out Malcolm pretty extensively and it's a really nice rig to work with. I've have found a couple of things though that I think need to be added to the next version:

1. The World/Body/Chest parent spaces for the hands need to be a keyable 'Enum' attribute on the actual hand controls (using a set driven key to affect the parent constraints). This allows us to key the parent spaces without having to dig into the rigs to key the parent constraint (right now I have the parent constraint, along with the rest of the controls in a separate quick select set)

2. Elbows need to be able to have the same ability to switch to Chest space along with the hands (right now they're only about to be in World/Body space so when I rotate the chest the elbows shift independently)

3. Similarly the knees need to be able to have their parent space attached to the feet. At the moment it's only Hips and World (it just makes things easier, rather than having to constantly move the knees every time the foot rotates)

4. Resetting the face to zero causes the upper eyelids to close rather than open (their Y value for open is '1' rather than '0', hitting the 'reset selected' button closes them as well

5. The thumbs need some major changes in the placement of bones and where it rotates from. It starts rotating slightly further up the hand than it should. Ideally there should be another base thumb control near the base of the hand, the base one that's there now could then be slightly more towards the tip and the last control can stay where it is.

6. Also Noticed the fingers don't hold their shape so well when they're bent slightly backward, they collapse in a different place to the joint.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 am 

Ok, so I have a student version of Maya 2012 and I have the abxpicker successfully up and running. My only problem that I have is that in the Picker, some of the words get cut in half and difficult to read. I don't know how to fix it and enlarging the picker box doesn't work.

Attachments:
abxpicker_issue.jpg
abxpicker_issue.jpg [ 750.98 KiB | Viewed 39822 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi shawn3d86.

You need to install the right abxPicker version -- probably the one that says Maya2011. It looks like you installed the older Maya2009 one.