Malcolm Rig Facial Controls locked

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
crbland
Malcolm Rig Facial Controls locked

Post by crbland » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm brand new to using the Malcolm Rig, but I'm starting to have troubles with the facial controls, primarily the eyebrows and the nostrils. I saved the Malcolm file and quit, but when I went back to use the same file, the eyebrows and nostrils were locked in place even though I can move the controls up/down and left/right no problem; yet with no result.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated, for a can't wait to start using this rig properly!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Malcolm Rig Facial Controls locked

Post by admin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 pm

That's strange - I don't know if I've seen that before.
Can you send some screenshots or any other information?

Thanhgiang1213

Post by Thanhgiang1213 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi Dave,
I have the same problem.
I scale Malcolm 3 times bigger, and now the eyebrow controller is not attached to the rig. I can move the controller but the brows don't move at all.

please help.
Thanks

Lilian

Bobby Fox

Post by Bobby Fox » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:23 pm

I have been trying to use the Malcolm rig as well and am having the same issue. The eyebrow controls, nostril controls and the top level lip corner controls themselves will move, but the geometry does not move with the controls. I have tried using all three versions of the Malcolm rig and they all behave the same way. I have tried using them in Maya 2015, 2016 and 2018. I have looked for solutions to this issue here and on the 11 Second Club forums and just did a google search as well. The few suggestions that people have posted have not worked for me.

I LOVE this rig and what people have done with him. I very much hope you can help.

I have used the female Malcolm and have had no issues at all.

cheers

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:29 am

Can you try setting the evaluation mode to DG in the Settings>Preferences>Animation. Let me know.

Maya 2015 did have a problem with ruining some blendshape connections. If the file was saved initially from Maya 2015, I'm not surprised about that.
Maybe you can use ATOM to save the animation out and bring it on to a new reference in Maya 2018.

Bobby Fox

Post by Bobby Fox » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:26 pm

admin wrote:Can you try setting the evaluation mode to DG in the Settings>Preferences>Animation. Let me know.

Maya 2015 did have a problem with ruining some blendshape connections. If the file was saved initially from Maya 2015, I'm not surprised about that.
Maybe you can use ATOM to save the animation out and bring it on to a new reference in Maya 2018.
Thank you. Changing the evaluation mode to DG did work for Malcolm v100 in Maya 2016 & 18. This mode option isn't available in 2015. I saved and re-opened the file a few times and it seems to hold. I think, though, I tried this a while ago and it worked for a time, then one day I opened the file and these controls no longer worked. I'll keep you posted.

No joy for Malcolm v200 though. These controls still do not work in Maya 2016 or 18, whether I import the rig or reference it in. Very sad...

cheers

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:55 pm

:(