Referenced Malcolm Texture Error

Discuss anything related to the Malcolm Rig here!
jtmuller
Referenced Malcolm Texture Error

Post by jtmuller » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 pm

I have spent some time trying to solve this texture issue that appeared when I reference Malcolm into my scene. There is a cluster of polygons on Malcolm's left hand, middle finger that have a different assigned texture. To Malcolm's upper body geo. There are three textures I have added in a separate scene. For some reason when I render the scene where Malcolm is referenced. A cluster of pixels pick up the texture of the shirt. I have checked the normals. I have selected the various areas and made sure the right texture was applied on the faces of the geo. I did not UV unwrap Malcolm because in this case I felt it was not needed for the application of basic materials. Any solution to this problem would be wonderful. My current fix is just adding a couple of band-aids to his finger, but the band-aids are noticeable throughout the animation and its not the best solution to fixing a texture problem. :D

I have thought about UVmapping malcolm.. but when I try to open the UV Texture Editor, I get this. // Error: textureWindow: Object 'polyTexturePlacementPanel1' not found.

Example images of error / quick solution:

Thanks for the help in advance!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Referenced Malcolm Texture Error

Post by admin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Maya's polysmooth function tends to destroy materials like this.
You may have applied materials on a lower resolution, then increased the resolution.
Easiest fix is probably to select the polygons with the bad material and reassign those polygons to the right material.

Or, go back to the non-smoothed version (0 in the AnimSchool Picker) and just use the Mental Ray renderer to smooth the polygons.