Question about skinning

Discuss anything related to user mods of the Malcolm Rig
DanieltheAnimator
Question about skinning

Post by DanieltheAnimator » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:30 am

Hey Dave,
I was wondering if there was an easy workflow to transfer the skin weights from Malcom's body (upper, pants, socks, and shoes) to a new one-piece mesh?
I've been trying cometScripts and zooTools, but they don't seem to be working out for me.

Thanks, man!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about skinning

Post by admin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:59 pm

I confess I don't know. I always do this in Softimage, then transfer. I'll ask our rigging instructors--they'll know.
DanieltheAnimator wrote:Hey Dave,
I was wondering if there was an easy workflow to transfer the skin weights from Malcom's body (upper, pants, socks, and shoes) to a new one-piece mesh?
I've been trying cometScripts and zooTools, but they don't seem to be working out for me.

Thanks, man!

DanieltheAnimator

Post by DanieltheAnimator » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Sounds good. Let me know if you find an easy solution. :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 am

Hi! Here are the responses:

"I am not sure exactly what they need but you can always assign the same joints and then copy the weighting from your old mesh to the new one. You can find that under the skin - edit smooth skin - copy weights. There are a couple options under there, "closes point on surface" normally does the trick. They do not need the same topology. I use this a lot at work to simplify weighting on high-res geo."

"I have solid results with Maya's copy skin weights, it also works fine with vertex selections. You just need to be sure both skinClusters have the same influences."

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

I think you also need to make sure it has UVs and that they aren't overlapping. I think some of Malcolm doesn't have any UV's and the 'copy/transfer weights' saves an image based on UVs of the painted skin weights and then transfers it, so if you don't have UVs then those painted weight images Maya tries to save won't work . . . I think. I haven't done this in a while. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but check to make sure everything has UVs first.

VishaaL

Post by VishaaL » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:35 am

You can always assign the same joints and then copy the weighting from your old mesh to the new one but, I am not sure...
There are a couple options under there, "closes point on surface" normally does the trick. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but check to make sure everything has UVs first.